Saturday, October 01, 2005

A part time home-dad

Working part time and looking after my toddler is in some ways an ideal situation. In a Mothercare survey 69% of fathers said that they would like to be able to give up work to look after their children. It was a very obvious decision for us; I could do more hours teaching if I wanted to but I wasn’t obliged to. I didn’t involve giving up a job or making a big deal about going part time from a full time contract. For some dads doing this could involve a major change in direction of their career but there was no need for any ‘mid-life crisis’ type decisions for me.

We’ve been thinking about the possibility of her going full time in nursery next year. Though I love spending time with her and I am sure that my time with her is a major fulfilment of my life the thought have having more time to write, prepare teaching and perhaps even develop this blog more is very tempting. I feel that having time to journal my thoughts about psychological formation is something that will not only produce material for others to learn from but also help me grow.

No comments: